Monday, February 13, 2012

Single Serving Frittata, Toast Base

Staying home makes can make food monotonous. You are comfortable with a few recipes and you start to get bored. My two favorite things in the world are breakfast and desserts, and I've been on a rampage using my muffin pan. But with 7 people living in my house I am constantly running out of one staple item or another and I usually have to send Tony on a quick run to the grocery store

 This morning I take out my muffin pan to try and make something new because I'm tired of pancakes and scrambled eggs. I want something filled with vegetables and flavor. But I only have eggs and broccoli and white bread. Ugh.... Tony is sleeping and getting myself and a 11 month old dressed just for some peppers, potatoes and milk seems more trouble than its worth. But wait!! I find some spinach.

So I toast 2 pieces of bread, scramble 4 eggs with salt and cracked pepper, dice and cook an onion sprinkle with salt, shred some spinach. Only cook the onions for two minutes, then turn off the pan and add the spinach to it

I sprayed the muffin pan with some PAM. Then using a biscuit cutter (thanks Can Can!!!) I cut out 3 circles per slice of bread and press it down to the bottom of each pan. I pour 2 tablespoons of scrambled eggs, a tablespoon of onions and spinach, and another 2 tablespoons of the egg, and top with some cheddar cheese.

At this point I think I\m screwed because by the time i got pouring my 4th muffin slot, the first one was already "disappearing". The egg is soaking into the bread. So i hurriedly finish the 6 slots and pop them into a oven at 350.

15 minutes later the eggs are set.... and I take a bite and..... hmmmmm. The bread that got soaked with egg took on a french toast taste, it wasn't soggy as I feared it would be.


Yes I ate all three of those with the help of Kayla.


The great thing about these is that you can add almost ANYTHING: peppers, mushrooms, broccoli, onions, garlic, tomatoes, bacon, sausage, etc. Want a healthier version, replace with whole wheat bread, or just omit the bread and cheese all together and add more veggies. Just like an omelette, use whatever cheese tickles your fancy. But unlike an omelette, just mix pour and walk away, no watching, no turning, no flipping, no tearing.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment