Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Ohhh la la Pot De Creme

So you know me, cakes and cupcakes and pretty much anything in a muffin pan. But can you believe I tried something different. Okay so it was in a ramekin cause I love already portioned desserts, but hey! its not a muffin  pan.

I saw a video for a non-bake version of Pot De Creme and it intrigued me. When it comes to desserts though I like to do my research. I look at multiple versions of the same recipe, notice the similarities and differences, and look at reviews and recommendations. Then Ill usually write down the top 3 and compare side to side, okay so Im a nerd, shoot me.

Pot De Creme are actually pretty simple, most recipes call for heavy cream, a few ounces of thinly chopped chocolate, sugar, eggs yolks, a sprinkle of salt, and vanilla. Now I've been wanting to make this for a few days and why for the life of me is there NO heavy cream at the grocery store, vegetable stand, the other vegetable stand  block down, or the supermarket 4 blocks away. I wasn't about to go all the way to the supermarket 15 minutes by train just for heavy cream.

So crazy as I am, i bought what they had, half and half. In no way am I recommending that you make it that way, please use heavy cream. I wont go into the hot mess I tried (it involved butter & cream cheese & cornstarch) to try and get the fat content and the consistency of heavy cream. But all's well that ends well.

The ramekins in the water bath.

Sprinkle some confectioners sugar and..... enjoy!!!!

I will be honest... i doubled the chocolate of the original recipe and doubled the sugar to counter the chocolate. But you can divide those two ingredients in half because this is a Pot de Creme.... so as long as the cream is there you can adjust the chocolate and sugar according to your taste.

Pot De Creme Recipe:

  • 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, cut into small pieces
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 6 egg yolks
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • Pinch salt
Pre heat oven to 375 degrees
In a kettle or a small pan bring a few cups of water to boil.
1. Chop of chocolate and place in a heat proof bowl, set aside. 
2. Mix up the egg yolks in a small bowl and set aside.
3. In a pan over medium heat warm the heavy cream, milk, and sugar. Continually whisk and watch the cream mixture, heavy cream boils over VERY quickly. Remove from heat immediately when it starts to boil.
4. Pour in the cream sugar mixture into the bowl with the chocolate, whisk until chocolate is melted and fully incorporated.
5. Pour a small amount of the chocolate cream into the egg yolks, this is tempering to make sure that the egg yolks dont cook and curdle. Repeat and them pour the egg yolk mixture into the bowl of chocolate cream. 
6. Ladle the mixture into 6 ramekins. Place the ramekins into a baking dish and carefully fill the baking dish with the boiling water until it reaches halfway up the ramekins.
7. Cover with foil and bake for 30-35 minutes @ 375. Let cool and then refrigerate for a few hours or overnight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment